Embrace the abundance of summer with a canning adventure that celebrates the luscious sweetness of nectarines. Preserving the sun-kissed essence of these stone fruits becomes a delightful ritual when transformed into Nectarine and Vanilla Bean Jam. In this article, we’ll guide you through a simple yet sensational canning recipe that captures the pure flavors of summer.
- 5 cups ripe nectarines, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1. Prepare the Nectarines: Begin by peeling, pitting, and chopping the ripe nectarines. The goal is to preserve their juicy, succulent nature in every spoonful of the jam.
2. Combine Ingredients: In a large, non-reactive pot, combine the chopped nectarines, granulated sugar, scraped vanilla bean seeds, and fresh lemon juice. The vanilla bean introduces a subtle, aromatic depth to complement the natural sweetness of the nectarines.
3. Cook the Jam: Over medium heat, stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves and the nectarines release their juices. Let the jam simmer until it thickens and reaches the desired consistency. This process typically takes around 20-25 minutes.
4. Test for Gel: To ensure the jam has achieved the perfect thickness, perform the gel test. Place a small amount on a cold plate, let it sit for a minute, and then run your finger through it. If the jam wrinkles and holds its shape, it’s ready for canning.
5. Sterilize Jars and Lids: While the jam is cooking, sterilize your canning jars and lids by placing them in boiling water for 10 minutes. This step ensures a clean and bacteria-free environment for your preserved jam.
6. Add Vanilla Bean Pods: Just before filling the canning jars, add the split vanilla bean pods to infuse the jam with an extra layer of flavor. Remove them before ladling the jam into the jars.
7. Fill and Process the Jars: Carefully ladle the hot Nectarine and Vanilla Bean Jam into the sterilized jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe the rims, place the sterilized lids on top, and screw on the metal bands until fingertip-tight. Submerge the filled jars in a boiling water bath, processing for about 10 minutes to create a secure vacuum seal.
As the jars cool, marvel at the jewel-toned beauty and the sweet aroma of summer encapsulated within. Nectarine and Vanilla Bean Jam isn’t just a canning project; it’s a symphony of flavors that will transport you back to the sunny days of the season with each spoonful. So, roll up your sleeves, savor the fragrance of vanilla-infused nectarines, and embark on a sweet canning journey that captures the essence of summer in every bite. Your taste buds are in for a treat!